9.29.2010

Peace

Peace is elusive.

I don't mean peace in the sense of lack of warfare or cessation of violence (although God knows that too is surely lacking in our world), but in the sense of personal contentment and security and serenity.  I mean, when is the last time you were really filled with a simple, profound and overwhelming sense of peace within your heart, mind and soul?

The other night I was blessed with one of those too-few moments in life in which I was overwhelmed by that deep sense of peace that the scriptures call the "peace that passes understanding".  It had been a long week.  In addition to an overloaded schedule both at work and at home, I was struggling with a health issue that not only made me feel crappy, but actually made me kind of nervous.  I worried if this could be more serious than the typical health issues that come up in the course of a year.  As the week went on, I found myself seeking the one promise of God that has always seemed most difficult to grasp: peace. 

On Tuesday, after a meeting of my Pastoral Relations Committee in which they prayed for me, my ministry and my family, I went home, changed clothes and went out for my evening run.  It was a beautiful night...cool, crisp, a few clouds floating by on a pretty strong, gusty wind, stars and a full moon shining brightly.  When I finished my run, instead of hustling inside and jumping into the shower like I normally do, I left my headphones on and sat down on the grass.  The wind felt great.  The air was dry.  It was a perfect temperature.  I laid back and looked up at the clouds and stars and moon, felt the wind against my skin and the softness of the grass, listened to Alexi Murdoch on my iPod...and there and then it came.  Peace.  As strong and as real as if it were a person sitting down on the grass next to me.  It was such a wonderful, overwhelming feeling.  I closed my eyes, felt a wide smile erupt on my face, and just thanked God for His presence.  For His presence is peace.

It took a lot to eventually get up off of the grass and go inside to get ready for bed.  I fell asleep within seconds of hitting the pillow.  What a gift, this precious thing called peace is.  What a difference it makes as we journey through life.

Peace is elusive, but that doesn't mean it isn't freely offered and available for those who slow down long enough to receive it.

2 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Nicely done, sir.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Tammy Chappell said...

I was googling full moon images and came across your Peace article. Thank you for reminding me that it is always there, I just have to stop and look for it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home